Friday 20 November 2009

Wear safety gear

Ok so today's review isn't a machine. It's not, strictly speaking a review either. It's simply a reminder.
No matter how good our tools are they mean little, if nothing, without considering personal safety.

I quite often wear a safety helmet with visor and goggles, when hedge trimming, strimming, using chainsaw, pole saw, long reach hedge trimmers and sometimes even the old cylinder mower.

I was walking through thick scrub today with the ladders, helmet on and visor down when a sharp thwack caught me in the face, across the visor, leaving a dint, reminded me how easy it is to pick up an injury.

Later on today, whilst feeding the chipper I was caught again in the face. This time I wasn't so lucky and I didn't have my helmet goggles or visor. I am still nursing a very sore left eyeball which has blurred vision and is sending a shooting pain across my forehead.
Lesson 1. BE LUCKY - wear safety gear

I used to be foreman for a contracting firm, and this lad never listened to anyone about wearing safety goggles, by rights the manager should have sacked him. One day he sent a stone through the windscreen of a BMW, and even then he didn't twig that he could loose his sight by using a strimmer.

So I gave him a lift home one day and spoke to him about what he was going to do that night, who he was going to see, where he was going for the weekend etc. He mentioned his girlfriend a lot!!!

Bingo. I knew I could stop him from blinding himself.
"you do realise that if you don't put them *****kin safety specs on you're girlfriends going to wake up one day and say to herself, ""I'm lay in bed next to a one eyed yorkshire pudding, I'm off"" and then she'll leave you and never come back"
amazingly it worked and I still cringe for having to use such insensitive tactics.

Sorry dude, I hope you still have both eyes though.

No comments:

Post a Comment